Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

5/11/2011

Herbs...and Miss V's Tomato Plant

I don't know what happened or where time has gone this spring.  I usually have an herb garden growing by now.  The only thing I picked up a while back was a basil plant.  It is cheaper to but the plant than those over priced little packets at the grocery store.

I do have a Rosemary bush...yes bush!  It is was getting so big that I had my husband trim it this weekend.

Before (May 4, 2011)


Today

A few years ago I planted the Rosemary, Oregano and a few other herbs.  We found out that Oregano is an invasive species and it took over from one end of the pool cage to the middle where the Rosemary is.  So we had to rip it all out.  Nasty stuff!  From now on it stays in pots!!!

Speaking of my basil, this year I didn't repot it.  Every time I do I forget to water it or I let it go so long and it starts to flower.


I did have a funny surpise on Sunday morning.  We headed out the front door and what did I see in one of my pots.....Basil from last year.  See...I forgot to water it and it dried out so I just pulled the dead plant out and put it in the yard waste barrel.



Miss V wanted a BIG tomato plant this year and to keep it on the lanai.  Every year she gets a plant and we put it out back and either rabbits or squirels eat it.  So far we have already picked one tomato.  Now it is LOADED with tomatoes.  It also is so big that we put a couple of plant stands around it to keep it up off the ground.






I am so excited!  We planted a Dwarf Myer Lemon (I think) tree a few years ago and it doesn't set fruit for the first few years.  Anyway, I noticed that it has 4 little lemons starting.  Yikes!  I better read up on them to see if they need any special care.






Are you growing and fruit, veggies or herbs this year?  If so what???

2 comments:

Martha said...

Your plants all look great! I don't have a single edible thing going this year other than my old orange tree. I need to at least get some herbs going. I hate having to buy them when I need them instead of just running out to the backyard.

I'm a new follower :-)

Donna said...

I'm in total awe....I have ZERO garden skills, so your like my hero:)

ps-please visit my blog when you get a chance to pick up YOUR award:)