I have been reading all sorts of sites and magazines and it looks like the plain old burger is passe' and the new and upcoming things are stuffed burgers and really jazzed up burgers.
So my question...
Would you serve plain burgers or new and funky type of burgers at your next cookout? (or a combo). Please leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks!!!
By funky, here are a couple of ideas;
Miami Burger with ham, Swiss and roasted garlic mayo
Philly Burger with sauteed onions and peppers with provolone
LA Burger with avocado relish (similar to guacamole) and lettuce and tomato
Pizza Burger, burger stuffed with pepperoni, mozzarella and pizza sauce
Mediterranean Stuffed Burger; stuffed with feta, oregano and topped with Roma tomato/sweet onion mixture
South West Burger; burger with taco seasoning and topped with a thick and chunky salsa
16 comments:
There's a favorite in our house which consists of 80% lean ground beef patties made WITH chopped green peppers and onions. Tastes different when it's IN the burger & not on top.
Don't really measure when I prepare them, kinda on sight how much is needed. You can experiment how much is to your own taste.
And last weekend we had ground chicken burgers. Healthier but still tasty and a welcome change.
I like going to a Pub with lots of different burger creations, but that still means that I am doing the choosing. I wouldn't like it so much if they were doing the choosing for me. There are just some things that are not to my taste, like mustard, or things that I have to be the mood for, like hot peppers. If I was throwing a BBQ party, I would care most about an excellent burger and bun, and offer the clever toppings on the side.
It would completely depend on who and how many were coming to the cookout regarding what type(s) of burgers to serve. I'm a HUGE fan of wanting assorted, creative toppings for my own burger, but I also know not everyone (esp kiddos) take delight in non-traditional toppings. If you're having a larger, mixed gathering I'd have standard burgers with standard toppings available... and then maybe pick one or two "gourmet" burgers as well. Or, my favorite, have a burger bar with menu tags listing how guests can create one of several burgers on their own.
I had a yummy burger the other day at a local eatery. It was amazing, swiss cheese, spicy mayo, homemade chunky guacamole, and all the other fixings....yummmm was it good. They also have this with a marinated chicken breast.
I agree with Dawna - it's great to have the option but I wouldn't want to have the choice taken away ;) It'd be easy enough to provide different fillings.
I have made burgers with taco seasoning and taco type toppings, if we were going towards that theme, but I would have plain ones
available for others also. We always have tons of topping available for a party this way everyone gets their favorites.
Like most of the others before me, I love different toppings as much as I love having the freedom to choose which ones go on my burger. However, if the cookout has a theme, such as Southwest, Chinese, Greek, Italian, or whatever, then I would stick with the theme and create stuffed or topped burgers for my guests. I would have plain or veggie burgers on hand for those who prefer them.
Before the kids grew up and moved on with their lives, I would often experiment with different "fillings" for stuffed burgers, such as thinly sliced tomatoes with bacon and cheese. They were quite a hit!
I am a regular old hamburger person that prefers to add in my own accessories. LOL! I would still do a variety of burgers for others to try.
Another is to have the ingredients available in separate bowls and the guest can make their requests when they get there.
It's your party - so serve what you want... but if you know you have some picky eaters you might throw in one plain option or serve hot dogs for kids and those who don't like the creative option! Me - I would prefer the "gourmet" style of burgers you mentioned!
I prefer to smother my burgers. A little blackening seasoning, cook to order top it with grilled mushrooms, onions and pepperjack cheese. A liitle garilc aoli onthe bun and mmmmmmmmm. An icy sam Adams doesn't hurt to wash it down
The Philly one sounds SUPER yummy! Alas, my family is more of a plain burger type family, they really don't like me to experiment much! LOL
Our house favorite is a ground turkey (breast) stuffed w/blue cheese and seasoned with Slap Yo Mamma seasoned salt. The turkey is very mild flavored but the blue cheese gives it a lot of flavor. It is good with spicy mustard or (my favorite) a cranberry mustard that I found in the store. YUM!
Either way, but if I were cooking it and was having guest over I would give them the option of plain or let em on what I put into the burger.I use dry ranch dressing in mine at times as well as dried onion soup mix.
We quit eating ground meat so ours would be funky veggie burgers. Actually we are really fond of portabella caps used as burgers so I guess that might be funky:)
Burgers are so easy to customize that we would probably offer a variety. When we still ate meat burgers we would almost always have a large variety of cheese on hand and then topped them with what the individual liked. We usually made bacon and grilled pineapple in teriyaki(sauce)sauce as topping options too.
Those pizza burgers sounds heavenly to me.
I would offer the plain burger option and make their chocse of toppings available to them as well.
I tend to stick with the traditional burgers when I cook but will try some more exotic ones when I eat out. I always say I'm going to try to cook a different kind of burger but then I get intimidated and shy away from the task.
Post a Comment