Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

5/06/2014

Carnitas and Mango Salsa

Last night for dinner and Cinco de Mayo I tried a new version of tacos.  You can find the original recipe at Girl Inspired.

I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful this smelled cooking all day!

2-3 pound pork butt roast
olive oil
salt
pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 orange
½ large sweet onion
2 Roma tomatoes
1 yellow bell pepper
1-2 mangos
1 jalepeno
½ cup frozen corn
juice of 2 limes
2-3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
2 avocados (add just before serving)

For the meat: Brown the roast in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Place the browned meat into the crock pot with about a teaspoon of cumin, more salt and pepper, and one orange (squeezed and then thrown in the crock). Cook the meat on low heat for 8 hours.

Once it's done cooking, pull the meat apart with two forks - it should fall apart easily.

For the salsa: Chop all fruits and vegetables (except for avocados).

Add lime juice, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and stir.

Cover and set in refrigerator for 6-8 hours.

Just before serving, chop avocados and mix in.

Load your meat salsa into baked corn tortillas serve immediately.



For the tortillas I preheated the oven to 375.  Sprayed the tortillas and then hung them over two rungs of the oven rack.  It was a pain in the butt.  I might try a different way next time with a cooling rack and cookie sheet.

Anyway.....that was one of the best tacos that I have ever eaten!  It was light, flavorful, and not dripping with grease.  I am looking forward to left overs!  Oh and I made a black bean salad to go along with it.

2 comments:

Anna J said...

I showed this to my husband today and we are going to try it! Will let you know how it turns out!

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Oh I hope you enjoy them!

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails