Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

5/31/2014

Boston Cream Pie in a Jar

My daughter's school like to celebrate the teachers that have summer birthdays.  In the past what ever class hosts the teacher luncheon will do a cake.  This year my friend that oversees it asked if I could come up with something.  Usually all the teachers throughout the year will get a single cupcake from the store, a balloon and a card.

I think there were 10 or 11 birthdays so I start looking at cute little desserts in jars.  I settled on Boston Cream Pie in a Jar.  I did change the chocolate layer as I really dislike canned frosting.  I found a great recipe on the Joy of Baking site.

2 (1.4 oz) boxes French Vanilla or Custard Pudding, prepared and chilled according to package directions.  I think I used the larger boxes so that I could have a bit leftover.

1 box French Vanilla Cake Mix, prepared and baked according to package directions.  I split the batter into two 13x9 pans and baked it about half the recommended time one 13x9 pan.

Chocolate Sauce
14 (8 oz) mason jars

Prepare the chocolate sauce while the cakes are baking and cooling and the pudding is chilling in the refrigerator.

24 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl and set aside.

Combine the cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a saucepan and place over low heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often.

Remove from heat and pour immediately over the chocolate.  Let stand until the chocolate has melted, then stir until smooth.

Stir in the vanilla extract.

Store the sauce in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for up to two weeks. Reheat over simmering water before serving.

Makes about 4 cups. Preparation time 15 minutes.

When ready to assemble cut cake into circles. I used a 2 inch circular cookie cutter.
Start with a heaping tablespoon of pudding followed by a cake round and then a heaping tablespoon or more of the chocolate sauce. Repeat the process again, ending with the chocolate sauce.




I made these a day ahead and kept them in the refrigerator.  I took them out the next morning to warm up since the sauce gets very hard.  I also used a clear Goody Hair band to attach a spoon to the jar.  At school my friend attached a balloon to the jar.

The teachers all said they were great!  Miss V and I got to test one and we both thought they were really good.  As for the jars the teachers know if they return them to the office I will make them another treat for Teacher Appreciation Luncheon.  

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails