Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

3/22/2014

Key Lime Cake

I love love love Key Lime pie and when I spotted this cake on Pinterest I knew I had to make it.  The original recipe can be found at Your Homebased Mom. I made it yesterday morning.

For the cake
2 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
2/3 C oil
2/3 cup key lime juice
3/4 cup sour cream

For the frosting
1 C butter, softened
2 – 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
2 – 16 oz boxes confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C key lime juice


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 8-inch cake pans.
Mix together flour, sugar, powder, soda and salt into mixer.
Add eggs, oil and lime juice. Beat until smooth.
Add sour cream and beat until smooth.
Pour in prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool and frost.

Make the frosting:
Mix together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Add in confectioner's sugar
Add in vanilla.
Add in 1/4 cup of key lime juice.


I made a big woops!  I didn't let the cakes cool long enough in the pan and when I went to flip them out onto a cooling rack it was to close to the edge and when I tried to slide it back a little the cake cracked in half.

So when it was time to assemble, I did not slice the two cakes in half to make four layers.  I also had a bit of a problem with the frosting.  It is very fluffy and the layers didn't really stick to each other so the top slid a bit.  Since I only had two layers I did have extra frosting and used a large star tip to pipe on decorations around the bottom of the cake.

Mine wasn't so pretty, but the taste DEFINITELY made up for it.  This is such a wonderful and refreshing cake.  I would definitely make this again.

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails