Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

3/08/2014

Fruit Pizza (aka Fruit Topped, Frosted Sugar Cookies)

I am having a hard time figuring this sessions group out.  The last session's participants gobbled up dinner and desserts.  This session it is the opposite.  Last week a woman made a huge salad that had fruit and that went over well.  So I figured that I would try to make some dessert that would have fruit.

I looked and finally came up with mini fruit pizzas, also known as Fruit Topped, Frosted Sugar Cookies.  Then the search for the perfect one.  I made my own favorite butter cookie recipe and had to figure out Nutella or Cream Cheese Frosting.  All of the Cream Cheese Frostings had Cool Whip.  I am not a huge fan of Cool Whip.  I just don't like the after taste left in my mouth.

Then.....Ahhhhhh!  Someone posted a great frosting recipe. You can find the original at Pinch of Yum.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Combine Cream Cheese and Butter until smooth.  Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar until well combined.

Since I was making this ahead of time, I put it in a Gladware container and stored in the fridge.  I took it out about 30 minutes before assembling the cookies to make it more spreadable.

For the Cookies.

6 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups unsalted butter - room temp
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs - room temp
4 Tbsp milk
3 tsp vanilla

Sprinkles, sugars, and whatever decorations that you like.  I have a sprinkles addiction...

Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.

Cream sugar and butter, then add eggs milk and vanilla.

Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until combined.

Roll out on waxed paper about 1/4 inch thick and then put into the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.  While chilling preheat oven to 350.  After chilling, cut out shapes and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

I can not stress this enough, keep everything; pans, dough, cookie cutters cold.  This makes it so much easier.  Between batches I would chill the pans in the fridge and the cookie cutters in the freezer.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.  You do not want them to brown.

For the fruit we had
Strawberries, cut into thin slices
Blueberries
Red Grapes
Mandarin Oranges, drained
Pineappe Tidbits, drained
Mango, diced
Banana, sliced
Kiwi

I left some of the cookies plain, some were spread with Nutella and some with the Cream Cheese Frosting.  Then Master Chef Victoria had fun decorating them.





In typical Miss V fashion, she did make some smiley faces on some of the cookies.

Sharing on
Melt in Your Mouth Monday

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails