©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor



Ciabatta Rolls

This week's weather is on a roller coaster.  Yesterday started out in the high 60's and then was going to drop down into the 30's.  So I figured soup and bread would be a good dinner.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and the original can be found at Ciabatta Rolls from King Arthur Flour.

I did have to make the starter on Sunday night.

Place the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup cool water
1/16 teaspoon instant yeast
Mix until well combined. Cover the starter and let it rest at room temperature overnight, or for up to 15 hours. It will become bubbly.

Next day, add the following to the risen starter:

2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2/3 cup lukewarm water
3 tablespoons olive oil

Beat at medium speed, using the flat beater, for 7 minutes. The dough will be very smooth, soft, shiny, and elastic.

Lift out the dough and lightly grease the mixing bowl (or other rising container, if you need your bowl for something else); cover the bowl, and let the dough rise for 2 hours, gently deflating it midway through.

If you’re using a bread machine, allow it to rise for an additional hour after the dough cycle has ended.

Lightly grease your work surface, and two half-sheet baking pans (18″ x 13″) or similar large baking sheets. Grease your hands, as well.

Turn the dough out of the bowl onto the lightly greased work surface. Divide it into 12 pieces, about 80g (2 1/4 ounces) each. Round each into a ball. Gently stretch the balls into flattened disks, about 3 1/2″ wide, and place them on the prepared baking sheets, six to a sheet. (Mine were such a sticky mess.  I couldn't get them into balls, so I had to add enough flour so I could at least form some sort of shape.  I was ready to just toss the dough in the trash, I was that frustrated with it)

Lightly cover the rolls with heavily oiled plastic wrap or a proof cover, and allow them to rise for 2 to 3 hours, or until they’re showing some signs of puffiness. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.

Spritz the risen rolls with lukewarm water, and gently but firmly dimple each one with your fingers, making fairly deep pockets. Bake them until they’re golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.

They did end up ok.  They do taste great, but just not worth the effort.

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails