When I got home Tuesday morning from dropping Miss V off at school, I started working on Mr. Minion. I made the two cake mixes and put them in a prepared 11x15 sheet pan. It took about 30 minutes to bake. Wilton has a great chart on how much batter per pan and cooking temps and times. You can find it here.
I then put out my fondant mat and used Minion Yellow Duck tape to keep it in place.
While he was in the oven, I made a batch of Marshmallow Fondant. I kept it simple and just used clear vanilla extract and water.
When the cake was done, I flipped it and let it cool on a wire rack.
With the first batch of fondant, I colored some with black, grey, brown, pink and left some white. So I made some shoes, hair, hands, parts of eyes, and buttons from the black. With the white I designed some teeth, and eyes. I made the pupils out of the brown. With the pink I made a cute little tongue by using a small heart shaped cookie cutter. I also made the goggles from the gray. I rolled it out pretty thick and used different sized round cutters.
I wrapped the extra fondant up in plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Then it was time to carve the Minion. I kind of stood and looked at him for a few minutes deciding how he should look.
He then went into the fridge to cool down for about 30 minutes. When he was cool, I gave him a quick crumb coat and added a little tiny section from the scrap cake for legs. Minions have to have legs.
While he was chilling in the fridge, I put the eyes together with the goggle frames and looked at the scale and looked pretty good.
When he was done with his chill time, I made another two batches of marshmallow fondant and tinted it yellow with Americolor Lemon Yellow. Rolled it out and covered Mr. Minion.
I put on the eyes/goggles and the mouth to check for scale on the body. Whoa....I did not like the mouth at all. It made him creepy!
That mouth came off very quickly! Then I made another batch of marshmallow fondant and colored it with Americolor Royal Blue. Rolled it out and made a nice straight rectangle then put it on as his overalls.
I cut straps and put them on and put a little black button on each one. I wanted that to dry a little so I made the goggles metallic looking by using a bit of silver luster dust and lemon extract. You can see the difference here.
When both were done I let them air dry a bit and placed them on Mr. Minion.
He still looked creepy so I rolled some more black fondant and made another mouth.
Yep that one looks much more friendly and silly! Next up arms! I did put a toothpick in the upper arms to keep them attached to the body and did the same with the shoes. The rest of the parts I used a dab of corn syrup. Works like a charm!
I kept thinking how flippin adorable he was! He was a lot of hours worth of work, but he was so worth it!
Mr. Minion (Miss V called him Phil) took a ride to school on her lap. She was guardian of the Minion.