Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

1/26/2013

Rolled Butter Cookies with Marshmallow Fondant

I have been searching for a week or so for ideas on a good rolled cookie that could handle fondant for the decorations.  I am absolutely horrible with royal icing.  So somehow I found a site called Tidy Mom.  She has the most brilliant video tutorial on rolling out cookie dough.  Seriously who would have thought to roll the dough out THEN chill it. 

I don't know about you, but I despise making rolled out cookie dough.  It is always such a hassle!  I really watched the video a few times and just shook my head. 

You can see the video at Tidy Mom Rolling Cookie Dough.

I also decided to use her cookie dough but did skip the almond extract.  I didn't think it would go so well with the Marshmallow Fondant that I made with Lemon Extract.  You can find the original recipe at Tidy Mom Halloween Cookies.

6 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups unsalted butter - room temp
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs - room temp
4 Tbsp milk
3 tsp vanilla
Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
Cream sugar and butter, then add eggs milk and vanilla.
Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until combined.

Roll out on waxed paper about 1/4 inch thick and then put into the fridge for 20 minutes.  While chilling preheat oven to 350.

After chilling out shapes and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.  You do not want them to brown.  I did find that 12 minutes were perfect for my very large cookies.


When cooled decorate.  I actually made a batch of Marshmallow fondant the day before.  I rolled it out and cut stars out with the same cookie cutter that I was going to use for the cookies.  I let them air dry a bit over night.

When each tray of the cookies came out of the oven, I let them cool for about 2 minutes then gently placed a fondant star on top and push down very gently to make sure it was adhering to the cookie.  Then let them cool completely.  I ended up with about 30 large cookies.

I am sorry that I didn't snap pictures during the process.  I really needed and wanted to keep my full attention on the cookies.  Next time I will defintely take pictures.

As for decorating on top of the fondant.  I did use some premixed royal icing packets left over from our gingerbread houses.  I did not like they way it looked so I wiped it off with a wet paper towel and let the fondant dry.  Luckily I realized this after one cookie.

When all the cookies were completely cooled, I put them on a large tray and placed the white and purple chocolate Paw Prints around the tray and on some of the cookies.




I am happy to say, that the tray was gobbled up and not one cookie or candy came home.  Poor Miss V didn't get to have one at the game.  Luckily for her I did keep a cookie or two home.

Sharing this recipe here:
Melt In Your Mouth Monday #101

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails