Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

11/08/2012

Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy

So I had pinned this recipe awhile ago from Martha Stewart.  I have been in a cooking rut lately and just making old standby dinners.  Yesterday after I dropped Miss V off at school I ran to Sweetbay and picked up the ground beef and some white bread. 

1/4 cup safflower oil (I used light olive oil)
1 large onion, grated (about 1 1/3 cups) (I just put the onion in my food processor with the grater blade)
2 slices white bread
1/2 cup whole milk
2 pounds ground sirloin
2 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/4 teaspoons) (I find it easier to just use a microplane)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons plus a dash of Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch, plus 1/4 cup for dusting
1 1/2 cups beef broth (I use Beef Stock)

Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 cup onion. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 35 minutes. Set aside. (This could easily be done earlier in the day) 


Soak bread in milk, flipping once. Finely chop. In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup onions, the sirloin, garlic cloves, bread, egg, parsley, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix with your hands to combine. Divide meat mixture into 6 oblong patties (about 5 inches long and 3/4 inch thick). Dust with cornstarch.



 

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining oil, and reduce heat to medium. Cook patties, 3 at a time, for 6 minutes, without moving them. Flip, and cook until cooked through, about 9 minutes. Set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining patties. (I browned them well on both side and then placed them into a 13x9 pan)

 

Make the gravy: Add cooked onions and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to same skillet, and stir for 1 minute. Raise heat to medium-high. Pour in broth and a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and whisk until broth is clear and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and return patties and juices to skillet, spooning sauce on top. (I poured the gravy over the top and then put them in the oven at 400 to finish cooking since I was baking the potatoes at the same time)




They came out super moist and we really enjoyed it.  It was yummy and filling.  The onion gravy was also perfect on the baked potatoes.

I think I will definitely make them again this winter and just finish baking them in the oven.  It made is much easier.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! This looks so amazing to me right now! I wish I had this for dinner.

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails