Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

1/10/2012

Plum Sauced Chicken in Tortillas

I just happened to be flipping through an old cookbook called Better Than Most Slow Cooker Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens and spotted a picture of this recipe.  So I decided to make it for dinner last night.  My only problem was trying to find canned plums.  I couldn't so I just bought 1.5 pounds of fresh plums.

32 oz. can whole, unpitted purple plums, drained
1 cup hot-style vegetable juice
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
4 1/2 tsp. quick-cooking tapioca
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. 5-spice powder
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs (I used boneless skinless breasts)
6 x 7-8 inch flour tortillas
2 cups packaged shredded broccoli or packaged shredded cabbage with carrot

Remove pits from plums. Place plums in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer plum puree to a 3 1/2 or 4-quart crock pot. Stir in vegetable juice, hoisin sauce, tapioca, ginger, ad 5-spice powder. Cut chicken into strips. Stir chicken into crock pot.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours, for 2 to 2/12 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot, reserving juices.

Spoon about 1/3 cup from the chicken mixture onto each warm tortilla just below the center. Drizzle with the reserved juices. Top each with 1/3 cup shredded slaw mix. Roll up Tortillas.

Number of Servings: 6

I served this with rice and pineapple chunks.





These were pretty good.  Miss V kept saying how the house smelled to spicy and wouldn't try it.  I told her that she would have to try it before she could eat her pineapple.  Well she tried it and liked it...

They did smell "spicy" but not like a hot spicy if that makes sense.  I don't normally cook with 5 spice powder and I think that is what she was smelling.

1 comment:

Katerina said...

These tortillas look very appetizing! I love sweet and savory flavors in my meals!

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails