Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

8/09/2011

Bread Bowls

Yesterday it was a rainy and gloomy day here in SW Florida and as much as I know the calendar says it is August, Miss V was asking for chili for supper.

I found the recipe for the bread bowls on BreadWorld.  We didn't actually use them for our chili.  I sliced one up and had it on the side.  They didn't come out exactly like I was thinking.  I was hoping for a crispier crust.  Maybe next time I make them I will have to use and egg white wash.  Also when I slashed one of the bowls, it deflated a bit.

Makes 2 (6-inch) bread bowls

3 / 4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
1 / 2 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 / 4 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Fleischmann's® Bread Machine Yeast

Directions
Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.

Divide dough into 2 equal portions; shape each into smooth ball. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

With sharp knife, make 4 (1 / 4-inch deep) slashes in crisscross fashion on top of loaves. Bake at 375° F for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.

Cut off 1 / 3 of loaf; hollow out loaf to form 1 / 4-inch thick bowl. Fill bowl with soup.

Another thing, is they are huge!  I think next time I will just make four small bowls.


No comments: