Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

3/18/2011

Irish Soda Bread

I also made this to go along with dinner.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups sour cream
2 egg (room temp)
3/4 cups of raisins

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.

In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream.

Add the egg/sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients.  With a wooden spoon carefully combine the ingredients.  If it gets to sticky, use your hands to gently mix the ingredients.  Then gently work in the raisins.

Spray a 9 inch spring form pan with cooking spray.

Place the dough in the spring form pan and gently pat it down.  If the dough is still sticky, you may sprinkle some extra flour on top.

With a sharp knife make a criss cross shape in the top of the dough.  (Do not go to deep though)


Bake for 50 minutes until light golden brown.  Serve warm with softened butter.




7 comments:

Cliona said...

Hi Lynn,
How did the bread turn out? I've never seen it made with sour cream before, it is traditionally made with buttermilk; I'd imagine the flavour wasn't as strong as with buttermilk?

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Hi Cliona! It came out really good! How do you make yours??

Roxann said...

I used a very simple recipe I saw on "Baking with Julia" a while back. It was flour, salt, soda and buttermilk. It came out tasting like a giant biscuit!

Your's looks yummy, Lynn!

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Thanks Roxann! I just had another...umm...two more pieces warmed up with butter. Sooo good!

Cliona said...

I should make it again, I can't say I make it often ;) But when I do, I think the recipe I use is a lot like the one Roxann got from Julia Childs. It's from a well known person here called Darina Allen:
4 cups plain white flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/5 tsp soda
1/2 cup raisins
1&1/4 - 1&1/2 cups buttermilk
1. Sieve dry ingredients, add fruit & mix well.
2. Make a well in the centre & add most of the milk
3. Mix in flour from side of bowl using 1 hand, adding more milk if needed. Dough should be soft but not too wet/sticky.
4. When it comes together, turn onto floured board & knead lightly for a few secs to tidy up
5. Pat into a round about 1.5" deep, cut a deep cross in it
6. Bake in preheated 450F oven for 15min then turn down to 400 for further 30 min (should sound hollow on bottom)

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Wow Cliona that does look much different than what I made. That does look more like a biscuit. The one I made was moist and tender. I think I would love to try your version too.

The Daily Smash said...

Yumm looks great thanks for sharing you have such great ideas.


Ashley
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com