Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

2/03/2011

Wild Rice and Ham Chowder

Miss V picked this recipe out from my Taste of Home, Heartwarming Soup magazine from last year.  I did make a few modifications.

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 4 small cloves)
1/4 cup butter, cubed (I used unsalted)
6 tbs all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt (I used more after I tasted it a couple times)
1/4 tsp black pepper (again I used more after tasting)
4 cups chicken broth (I used a box of Kitchen Basic Stock)
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (I used 3 large russet and it was more than a cup and half)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (I used 2 large carrots and it was more than 1/2 cup)
1 bay leaf (I used two dried)
1/2 tsp dried thyme (I used a bit more, after tasting and I used dried leaves not ground)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (I used fresh nutmeg)
3 cups cooked wild rice (I used a mix of long grain and wild, it came preseasoned which I didn't notice when I bought it.  So I shook it through a fine mesh strainer)
2 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (I used a 16 oz package of cubed ham)
2 cups half and half
1 can (15 1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained (I used about 3 cups frozen corn, thawed)
(Since I used more veggies, I did end up by adding a couple cups of water)

In a dutch oven saute onion and garlic in the butter until they are tender.  Add the flour, salt and pepper until combined.  Add in the stock.  Bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for two minutes until thick and bubbly.

Add the potatoes, carrots, bay leaves, thyme and nutmeg.  Return to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potato and carrot are fork tender.  Stir in the rice, ham and corn.  This is where I saw that it was way to thick so I added about two cups of water. Then added the half and half.  Heat through, but DO NOT BOIL!

The original recipe states that it yields 8-10 servings.  Mine easily made 12 -15 servings.  I like making enough so that my husband and Miss V could have some for lunches the next day and even have it for dinner tonight.

I served it with crusty bread.

1 comment:

amanojaku said...

Hellow!
I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit.
I have added your site to my site.
Please link my site to your site.
Thank you!

http://amaja567.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails