Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

2/09/2011

Neely's Short Ribs

Everyone once in a while I like to step out of my cooking comfort zone.  I keep seeing all sorts of recipes for Beef Short Ribs.  I haven't made them before and the other day at Sweet Bay I picked up a couple of pounds.  I looked all over for an easy recipe and came across the Neely's Short Ribs on Food Network.

1/4 cup olive oil, divided
6 pounds beef short ribs (I only had about 4 1/2 pounds)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (I used up half a red onion and halve white onion)
1 carrot, chopped  (I used two small carrots)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups dry red wine (I used Cupcake Malbec)
3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in thick puree (I used just a can of diced tomatoes)
3 thyme sprigs (I didn't have fresh so I used about 2 tsp of dried)
1 bay leaf
1 orange, zested
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves, for garnish (didn't use)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat about 2-tablespoons of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.

Season the short ribs well with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, brown ribs for 6 minutes on each side. You will need to do this in batches. Remove the browned short ribs to a plate and repeat with remaining ribs and oil.





Add onion, carrots, garlic, celery, and salt and pepper to the Dutch oven and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and wine to the vegetables and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the stock, diced tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf. Return the browned short ribs and any juices that have accumulated back into the Dutch oven. Add orange zest.


Cover with a heavy lid and place in the oven and braise for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender.
Once the ribs are tender, remove the ribs to a platter. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the short ribs over the stone ground grits, if desired. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.




I served them with mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.  I should have cut the liquid down a bit.  I did end up reducing the sauce a bit and poured that over the potatoes and beef.   We also had a glass of Cupcake Merlot with it.  Soooo good!!!

This was very very good and is a keeper!

Sharing here:
Melt In Your Mouth Monday # 10

3 comments:

Desi said...

I love short ribs. They are so tender when cooked right. I just wish they didn't take so long to cook!

Jane said...

Hi Lynn,
These ribs look delicious! I've got to try them. My family loves any kind of ribs! Thanks for adding this to Melt in Your Mouth Monday! :)

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family and Crafty Lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by Jane.

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails