Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

1/12/2011

Hot Cocoa Mix

I cannot keep hot chocolate mix in the pantry.  My kids go through it so fast.  So I searched for a homemade mix.  I kept seeing reviews on Alton Brown's recipe.  So I just made a batch.

2 cups powdered sugar (I added another 1/3 cup)
1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk


What I did was to pulse the powdered milk, cornstarch, salt and cayenne in my food processor so that the milk powder was finer.  I then pulsed the cocoa powder and sugar in batches and poured it into a Tupperware container.

I just made a cup and used a heaping 1/4 cup of mix to a mug of hot water (medium size on my Keurig). It is so yummy!  It is chocolaty and creamy.  I think Miss V is going to love it!



Hot Chocolate Recipe on FoodistaHot Chocolate Recipe

6 comments:

Roxann said...

Sounds yummy! I've been wanting to make my own mix, I'll have to try this one.

and I love the mug you used :)

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

LOL Roxann! My favorite Pop mug got a crack in it so I use this one now. I would love to head back and stay at POFQ and get a couple mugs from there.

Sandra said...

Well I made hot cocoa with coffee today, but I never thought putting cayenne pepper in..sounds good!

Mika said...

That looks good right about now!
I have a food blog as well. Hope you will stop by and follow me too!
Thanks,
Mika (www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com)

Lisa said...

Homemade cocoa sounds so easy and it looks delicious. I'm starting a new linky on my blog this Saturday called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for linking up with Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate the support. I hope you'll be able to join in again next week. By that time I'll have a cute button that you can grab and add to your post.