Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

11/05/2010

Gingerbread Muffins

The other day at Dunkies, they asked if I wanted to try their new Gingerbread Muffins.  I wasn't hungry so I just got my ice coffee.  Driving back to school, I kept thinking what would a Gingerbread Muffin taste like?  When I got home I Googled all sorts of different variations on the wording Gingerbread Muffin.  The one that kept popping up over and over were from Jason's Deli.  I love Jason's Deli but never tried their Gingerbread Muffins. 

This morning, I decided to try a recipe for Gingerbread Muffins that I found on the Back to the Cutting Board Blog.  I had to made a substitution from her recipe.

1 cup of dark brown sugar (I didn't have any dark brown, I only had light)
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 TSP. baking soda
1 TSP cinnamon
1 TSP ground ginger
1/2 TSP. salt
1/4 TSP fresh ground nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup of molasses
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted and cooled

If you don’t have buttermilk, which most people don't keep in their fridges and I am just to cheap to buy a carton that I know would end up going to waste, just add 1 TBS. of white vinegar to a cup of regular milk and let sit out for a little while.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.

Sift sugar, flour, soda, salt and spices in a bowl.

In a small bowl mix the egg, molasses, milk, and butter.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.  Do not over mix!!
I like using an ice cream scoop to fill my muffin tins.  This made just over a dozen regular sized muffins.  Bake for 20 minutes.  I also made a dozen mini muffins and baked them for just under 15 minutes.  For the mini muffins I used my small cookie scoop.

Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.  They don't taste very gingerbready when warm.  They tasted much better after sitting for an hour or two.

Miss V just had a mini one and she gave them two thumbs up.  I bet they will taste even better tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You HAVE to try the gingerbread muffins at Jason's Deli. TO DIE FOR! They are free for everyone and are on the part of the salad bar where they have the corn muffins, crackers, flat breads, and trail mix. Their muffins are a little darker than yours, but I am sure it is because you used the light brown sugar. You prob already know this, but you can make dark brown sugar from light brown sugar (or even from white sugar for that matter) by adding molasses to it. Not sure if you keep molasses in your pantry, though.

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Thanks Kristen! I usually just get sandwiches to go. Next time I will take the time to eat there. My pantry is pretty well stocked. Next time I am going to use the dark brown or make some, I was just starving and wanted a muffin quickly!! LOL