Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

9/30/2010

Butternut Squash Soup

So I had two large Butternut squashes that needed to be cooked up.  It would be to much just to roast and use as a side dish so I jumped out of my comfort zone and looked up recipes for Butternut Squash soup and found one by Alton Brown.  I really enjoy AB and his recipes make a lot of sense.  I did have to make some changes.

6 cups (about 2 large squash) seeded 2-inch wide chunks butternut squash
Melted butter, for brushing
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I used chicken stock)
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon minced ginger (I used my microplane)
4 ounces heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.


Brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper. On a sheet pan lay the squash flesh side up. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the flesh is nice and soft. (I peeled it and then cubed it and roasted it for about 45 minutes.)
Scoop the flesh from the skin into a pot and add the stock, honey, and ginger. Bring to a simmer and puree using a stick blender. Stir in the heavy cream and return to a low simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (I don't have a stick blender, so I put 1 cup of stock in the blender and then 1/3 of the squash and blended.  Repeat 2 more times.)

I didn't take a picture yet, I don't have any pretty white bowls.  Not sure how it will look in a colored bowl, but it sure is YUMMY!  Miss V even loves it!  She had Butternut Squash and Acorn Squash confused in her mind and was yucking it.  If you know Miss V she doesn't yuck anything.

I am going to make a three cheese grilled cheese to go with the soup.


I snapped a quick picture

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails