Copyright

©Life of a Foodie and Her Family 2008-2013, Lynn Tabor

Pinterest

7/05/2011

Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I wanted to shake up our July 4th menu a bit and I found a great recipe for Pulled Pork Sandwiches in Woman's World magazine.

Of course I didn't think it would be enough, so I doubled the recipe and luckily it fit in our crock pot. I am putting the original recipe here.

1 onion chopped, about 1 cup
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 lbs boneless pork butt shoulder roast
1 tbs dry fajita seasoning
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
12 hamburger buns split
2 cups prepared coleslaw

Place onion and garlic in the bottom of the crock pot. Top with pork; sprinkle with seasoning.

In a small bowl, whisk together, ketchup, brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and salt until smoother. Pour over pork.

Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.

Transfer pork to plate, reserving sauce in the crock pot; cool slightly. Using two forks shred pork into bite size piece; stir back into sauce.

Fill buns with pork mixture, dividing evenly; top with coleslaw.

Marcel was wonderful and put it in the crock pot Friday night around 10ish.


~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*


I made this again for July 4th but I went all out and bought 17 pounds of pork butt.  I wanted to make sure that I would hopefully have left overs.  I used the above recipe but quadrupaled it.  I put it in the oven at 2 am and let it cook at 250 for about 11 hours and then turned the oven down to 225 to keep it warm.  About half an hour before the party, I pulled it and put it in the crock pot to keep warm and for easy serving.  I strained the liquid and skimmed off the fat and pour the sauce over the pork in the crock pot.

It again came out super yummy!  AND the best part, I have leftovers!!!!!


I use my own fajita seasoning.  I love making big batches of this and storing it in a Gladware containter.  I do use more than 1 tablespoon.  It was more like 1/2 cup per butt.  Miss V helped me by sprinkling it on so we didn't get an exact measurement.  I also did the rub on Sunday afternoon so that it would have time to get happy in the fridge.



This is what it looked like after cooking, it smelled wonderful!


I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of it after I pulled it.  If I can remember at dinner time I will take one.

No comments:

LinkWithin and Pintrest

Related Posts with Thumbnails