1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Mix brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar.
2. Cover and refigerate at least 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 375
4. Line baking sheets with parchment paper
5. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonsfuls into balls. Dip tops into granulated sugar. Place balls sugared side up about 3 inches apart on baking sheet
6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks